View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 AM
BrendaK
Power Poster

:D I was always taught to pre-wash before sewing. Some say that is just if you are making garments. But you know how hard habits are to break. I recently purchased some jelly rolls and layer cakes and I did pre-wash them. I realized that I needed some more of the same fabric so I purchased the same jelly roll. On the same day I received in the mail a jelly roll book and one on the first things I read was NOT TO PRE-WASH. I figured that since I had already prewashed the first roll I had better do the same with this roll. I put them in a bucket and ran hot water on them. I couldn't believe the difference in the size of the strips. I did steam iron them and was able to get them back to almost the same size. The next Jelly Roll I will not pre-wash and then after I make the quilt I can compare them. I feel that you always have to pre-wash some fabrics that you know will srink. So I think it's something that you have to figure out which you like best. We all are different (that's what makes the world go round). Good luck to you. Brenda