View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 04:02 AM
eparys

Originally Posted by ckcowl
it is important to get the quilts out no matter how they are stored and fluff them then refold, with different fold lines every few months. acid free storage is certainly recommended. keep away from sun light; do not store in plastic because any humidity can cause molding. i do know people who do use those vacuum-space bags...but they take them out on a regular basis to fluff and refold- check for any (issues) like yellowing folds or any sign of moisture getting in.acid free tissue paper can be rolled up or scrunched up and placed inside, along the folds to help keep from getting creases. i actually put mine into cotton pillow cases then into acid-free storage containers.
NEVER STORE A QUILT IN A LARGE GARBAGE BAG!!! you would never believe how many wonderful- heirloom and antique quilts have gone to land-fills because someone put it into a garbage bag then someone else...throws it out! horrible situation!!! what ever you put them in LABEL THEM WELL...MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT IT IS.
Excellent advice.

On that same note: a friend of mine is a quilt judge. She stresses that you should fold the quilt in thirds - never in half. You generally never measure the thirds so the folds will always fall in a different place every time you fold it (if you fold in in half, you tend to put the corners tog and find the middle - resulting in the fold repeatedly being in the same place.)