Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Here in the South people seem to like the look of that little bit of paint left on the finish-- don't know what it's called, but at flea markets I see a lot of stuff that was refinished but the old paint residues left in the wood grain. It's kind of a distressed look and very popular here. It's not traditional for a sewing machine, but neither are purple and blue automotive paint for the heads (sorry, Billy!). Sometimes you have to make the best of what you have...

I think they control how much of the paint coat to leave/remove by wiping down with mineral spirits, but don't quote me on that.
Wow, that is a novel idea. I think, I know what you are talking about. My SS and his wife did that to the kitchen cabinets in a house they had. I didn't like the look, though. But, I am a stubborn person, so I will try to get my W&G's cabinet back as close to the original as I can -- this will be a slow endeavor. I am not complaining, I love the old machines, it will be a labor of love - a slow labor of love. It will also be a learning experience for me as I have never stripped and refinished before.

Nancy