View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 AM
patricej
Administrator

Get ready for a flood of advice. :lol:

You're going to hear about special 1/4" feet for your machine, various other gadgets and gizmos guaranteed to guide you to the "sweet spot" and keep you there, plus any number of other tips and techniques for getting and staying on that straight and narrow seam line.

every bit of advice you'll get will be valid and useful because the person who shares it will have found that particular foot, gizmo, gadget, tip or technique to have worked well for her/him.

all of it will have work for somebody, but nothing works for every person or on every machine. (oh yeah ... machines have "issues" and quirks just like people do. every time i switch from one machine to another, i have to take some time "learning how to sew" all over again. annoying, but necessary.)

there's one very important thing i've recently realized we usually leave out when this subject comes up. it is, i think, the single most important thing of all. once you pick the thing(s) that work for you ... haul out a stack of scraps and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

don't get discouraged. before you know it, you'll be zinging through them quarter-inchers like a pro - and giving advice to the next person who asks. :mrgreen: