View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 06:37 PM
raedar63

Originally Posted by Lobster
If there's a demand, maybe someone should set up a swap that specifically states that it's OK if the blocks smell of smoke or have pet hair on them?

I did a birthday block swap last year. It was fun, but I'm not planning to do it again. I just don't have the money, for starters. In the UK, quilting fabric generally costs about £10/m and international postage costs (everyone else was abroad) are high, even if you try to send batches of blocks to someone to redistribute every few months. The main problem, however, was that my birthday is mid December and a lot of the participants had stopped bothering by then. I really had to beg to get remotely near the number of blocks I'd sent out, and only got them because some kind people who weren't even in the swap made "angel blocks" (one person made five, bless her).

So it was interesting and fun as a one-off, but too many problems to want to do it again, even though it's supposedly better-organised this year (after the one person who said her birthday was in Feb and got an awful lot of blocks before we realised that she'd scammed us and not made a single block for anyone else). I asked for crazy quilt blocks with a female sexuality theme (one person took this fairly literally!), you know, the shape in the middle and the colours and such. I've just started sewing the blocks to the sashing tonight, it's shades of red and deep pink and orange and the back will be red. I'm really looking forward to the quilting: appropriate motifs (I don't think I'll dare post the quilt here, judging by the zombie quilt people will be too shocked by it!) and it'll be my first foray into big stitch quilting with perle 8. The quilt is going to this charity: http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/, it's a subject I feel passionately about.
Great post, I have read a lot about the subject on the link provided This is a horrid pratice. I am glad you are involved to help this cause. I for one would love to see the finished quilt . If you don't mind just pm me and I will send you my email .

Oh i ment to comment on another post I seen of yours that I LOVE the Isis avatar quilt. I really struggle on here sometimes to keep my tounge harnessed lol. ( I lean toward the pagan side of things )

:shock: :shock: I know as shocking to some as allergies and smoke lol!

PS,
I loved the Zombie quilt and I loved the winning ugly fabric choice,yikes I'm a freak,it's out now :lol: :lol: