Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by isewhappy
First, I mean NO offense to anyone. I'm just curious as to what the draw is to the old sewing machines. I think they are being called "featherweights."

While I love antiques and find them beautiful I don't understand what people are using them for. Many are missing parts and I've never seen one that I considered easily portable...

What am I missing?

(Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone - I'm just clueless.)
Because we hate plastic! After sewing on modern machines that don't have enough power to sew across another seam, I'm done with them. I could care less about computerized this and that, I want a nice, reliable stitch and enough power to penetrate the fabric, maybe many layers of it. I don't want to have to take a course just to be able to know how to operate my machine, either.

My "modern" machine is a Bernina Record 830, about 40 years old. My other machines are older Singers, made to last several lifetimes. The one in my avatar is a treadle and is 103 years old and still sews like a dream. I love to treadle on it. It says, "tickety, tickety, tickety..." I feel connected to a time when things were built with quality, not planned obsolescence.

I don't want a Featherweight (Singer 221)-- too wimpy. I did buy one for my daughter, tho. Only the 221 is called "Featherweight".

You really should try sewing on the older machines and you'll see why people love them. That's the only way to get that 'clue' you are looking for. ;)