Thread: EQ7
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by mrs_uncle_fuzzy
Wow it seems everyone but me understands these things.
I have to admit that EQ is not one of the easiest programs I've ever used. I should have signed up for one of the online classes or even the one at my LQS.

I can just about run Paint Shop Pro in my sleep. Same with MS Publisher. EQ is not the most intuitive thing in the world.

But, even though I occasionally feel like tearing my hair out, the rewards of being able to lay out my own quilts are worth the trouble. Figuring yardage, changing block sizes, changing layouts - and all the calculations done for you.

Just one example - I'm following the Barbara Brackman Civil War BOW and the blocks are 8" finished. A lot of traditional block patterns don't lend themselves to an 8" block, but if you open the block in EQ and set the size to 8", you can print rotary cutting instructions, templates for each patch, or foundation piecing patterns, whichever you want. No more struggling with 7/16" measurements.

If you already have EQ and don't use it, take a class! :) Or just jump in and design a quilt, using the help files and videos that are included in the program. Yep, video tutorials right on the disk - very cool!

You will be amazed at what you can do and how it simplifies so many things for you.