Thread: Brace Yourself
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Butterflyblue

Originally Posted by Tilladare
And that is only if they can beat the people who feel they are doing good and recycling by buying out all the wool and cotton clothes to cut up for crafting!
Sorry, this is a sore point for me. If a person wants to recycle clothing into crafting of any sort, I have no problem with that... IF they are using clothing from their own household. If you can afford new cloth, don't use the wool suit that might have helped a poor person get a job, or keep them from being quite as cold...
(OK off my soapbox... sorry for the rant)
Maybe where you live it is that way - but I don't think that everyone who makes recycled clothing projects is beating some poor(er) person out of clothing. I know that where I live, there is a place that gives away clothing and food to people with low income who are having trouble making ends meet. I've volunteered there, and they have WAY more clothes than they can get rid of (except mens and kids jeans). They keep very few suits, because there just isn't any demand.

There are also several consignement stores i visit, and get clothing at, both to wear and to make into other things, and I'm not seeing a shortage of available clothes. I usually just buy off of the sale racks what they haven't been able to get rid of an have marked down. The goodwill has more clothes than anything else, no shortage of anything that I can see, but their prices are generally higher than the privately run consignment stores. The only thing is, I wouldn't buy coats in the wintertime to cut up, because it does seem like there is a shortage of good coats.