View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Pamela Artman

I participated in 4 block swaps on another board. I enjoyed them, but they did have some drawbacks. The first drawback was the number of blocks received. It was a small group, so not enough for a good size quilt. The second drawback is quality of blocks/fabric. The coordinator was very specific about quilt shop quality and size of block, and most were well done with beautiful fabrics. One block however, was just horrible. I thought I might be able to resew it and make it useable, but after closer examination, the fabrics were so thin and the cutting was so far off, that it rendered the pieces unusable. That block hit the trash can and it really takes a lot for me to throw anything away! I combined the blocks from the first three swaps (all scrappy, all the same size, and similar patterns) and made a beautiful queen-size quilt with one block leftover. The 4th swap was wonderful, and made a beautiful throw size quilt, a jewel box with black background. We were concerned about the black background not matching, so I bought enough black fabric for everyone and mailed some to each participant. The quilt means even more to me because everyone included an extra block to me as a housewarming gift, so when it is quilted, it will hang in my sewing room as a reminder of the friends who pieced it. The third drawback is pressure to sew and mail in a certain time frame and some not mailing on time. The fourth drawback, I have so many projects of my own I don't need to keep adding projects! And the final drawback, the cost. I did buy more fabric for the last swap which wasn't scrappy, and I needed jewel toned fabrics, plus the cost of mailing. So, I did decide not to do any more block swaps, but mainly because of my huge list of UFOs I need to work on. I wouldn't rule it out for some time in the future, though. It's so much fun to get those blocks in the mail and see everyone's fabrics!