View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Bill'sBonBon

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I didn't think SS was suppose to be the principal retirement income, only supplement retirement income. It's scary how many people do not save or plan for retirement. My first real paycheck I put 10% in a retirement fund, not enough for me to miss and just enough to get the ball rolling. I remember at age eighteen feeling so responsible by having a retirement account. It's was my security blanket.
If you are married at a young age such as I and you are a stay at home Mom as I was you would understand. I had my own Business when my DD were at home. I was a dog groomer for over 20 years. It just took so much to take care of 2 DD give them what they needed,Braces,material things there really was not much to put up for savings. I sewed my DD play clothes ETC. I worked As A Vet. Tech. a county job,had benefits. Quit that one aft. 4 yrs. Then became a Paraprofessional for 15 yers. had 19 yrs in FL. Retirement. So I have a small income other that SS. I am one of the lucky ones. There are more people on SS only than you realize and you are one lucky person if you don't ever have to be one of them. If you have kids to feed you can't even put up 10%. Most would love to save or be able to put into a 401K. I for one could not find a way to do so until my kids were grown and gone. That is when I was able to work for 20 yrs for a retirment to supplement my SS. not the other way around. :shock: Just my 2 cents worth. OOOPS!! forgot My DH was a very good provider and He has a retirement also to Supplement SS like me. We both are retired He is disabled. But we did the best we could We feel blessed that we have what we do :wink: BillsBonBon