Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
purplefiend

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va
What is a FW. Is it the little portable Singer? Why would you ever want to go back to that after using the computerized models?
Of course, I've never used one so maybe just don't know what I'm missing.
The featherweight sews a beautiful straight stitch. I've made clothing with my featherweight , even a corduroy jacket, it did all the sewing without any problems at all.
What do you need for piecing quilts? A straight stitch of course, plus the machine only weighs about 11 pounds.
I've owned 8 featherweights over the years and sold all but 3 of them. The link below is of my current crop of featherweights.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719anVMRT
I forgot to tell how I got my featherweights. My first white FW I bought it on Ebay and it was in very bad shape. The green/white case was painted chocolate brown, the bottom fell out of it when I took it out of the shipping box, then the folding part of the bed fell off, the internal belt was falling apart...it was a horrible experience. I evenutally got her repaired and sold. I bought a black 1954 from a local pawn shop and it had every attachment except the walking foot, she lives in Iowa now and is an only machine and well loved.
I bought a very pretty white 1964 from a FW guru in Florida, it was in excellent condition and was sold and lives in PA. The next several came from Ebay sellers. I have 3 FWs left, 2 black and 1 tan FW. They all sew very well. I bought the tan FW from Sun Catchers of League City,TX at the Houston quilt show and picked it up at the
Dallas show the following Spring.
Sharon W.