Old 01-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Mari

I seldom go to the lqs, but do go there for notions etc. but sometimes go to the local hardware store for craft supplies and batting. I seek out the cheapest. No wally marts here less than forty miles away. I would love to support the local businesses, but the price is too far over my head. I don't have one hundred dollars or more to spend on making a quilt. Sorry, but the price of fabric is way over what I can afford. I know it is not the fault of the business, but perhaps we need to step back and wonder how come it is all so expensive. How come? I also do not subscribe to the notion that I must buy a piece of fabric just to have it around in my "stash", sitting around doing nothing but taking up space. I suspect I am not the only one in this position. I hand quilt with a group that exists mainly on fabric donations. I love to do this and go full steam ahead perfectly happy with the process of quilt making in this way. All the proceeds from the sale of these quilts and small quilted items, go to local charities. In that way, at the least, I feel my efforts are going toward supporting the community.