Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by playswithcolor
I have my grandmothers Free No 5 treadle. I started cleaning up the head. Had to take a break due to hand issues. I know it will need a new treadle belt. I'm hoping that the drawers on the cabinet yield a few treasures. The treadle/cabinet is in my mothers garage. A relative tried to open the drawers and must not have known about the lock/release for the drawers. My first challenge will be getting the lock mechanism unjammed.

I remember this machine living infront of the baywindow of the farm house. That way she could sew and still keep an eye on what grandpa was doing down at the barn, silo and grainary.

My goal is to get her machine running so that I can piece and quilt a traditional scrappy quilt on in it in Grams memory.

I'm sure I will have questions.
Geeze, you are the second person in the last couple days to get a Free! Nana has been posting about her Grandmother's Free that she just got! I also have a Free, mine is on page 627 and Nana's Free is a few page back! Page 774!

Congratulations! What is the serial number on your machine? We are trying to figure out ages of these machines!

Nancy
I have a free "Free" too. Serial #0240726, patent dates June 14 1910 Oct 10 1911, I hope that helps for dating.

I haven't used mine since I need to find the little ball bearings for the pitman rod.