View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 08:00 PM
CRH

Rose Marie:

I have the Easy Quilter-3. I'm not able to advise you, but have "practiced" with it enough to learn a few things about it. I have a Bernina 730 with stitch regulator, and found that it was too heavy to roll easily on this frame. My Pfaff was smaller and rolled smoothly and easily, and I was able to get a fairly even stitch even without the stitch regulator.

One disadvantage of this type frame is that you have to baste the quilt securely because this frame does not have rollers for the top, batting, and back like the big ones; and because you have to reroll it and position it many times to quilt all the areas.

The quilting area was severely limited with my short throat machines. Your 10-inch machine would be much better, but I question if it is much bigger if it would roll very easily. Also, I am very careful with the roller tracks as they are made of very soft wood and if injured would probably not roll very easily or smoothly.

The main value of this frame for me is a test to see if I can develop the skills to do this type of quilting (without investing in the more expensive kind).

Today I was at a quilt show, and an HQ dealer quoted me some affordable prices on bigger frames he had received on trade-in. The big frames can be purchased this way for $500 - $800. Check this link to a Hinterberg frame. (However, it is limited to 11-inch throat for any future upgrade of machine).

http://www.hinterberg.com/prod-Original_Machine_Quilting_Frame-5.aspx[url]

All this being said, this may be the perfect frame for your needs, only you can know. I am impressed with how smoothly it moves. Good luck to you!