Thread: Ironing Boards
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 AM
carslo

This is what we did and we are not to handy either! My husband borrowed a hand saw from a friend, he went to the lumber yard and asked for a sheet of construction grade 1/2 inch plywood to be cut in half and then in half again (now we have 1/4th pieces)and an 8 foot piece of 1x2 board.
Once he got it home I drew a semi-circle on the corners and he roughly tried to round them off - more like just cut the corners off and we cut up the 1x2 into 10 pieces. I laid my oldest ironning board on the plywood and traced it with a sharpie. I took Liquid Nail and placed 5 of the 1x2 pieces around the outline of the ironning board. two on either side of the narrow end, then two around the middle part and one across the bottom. I let the Liquid Nails set over night. Then I laid the one two pieces of Warm and Natural batting, and used the heavy duty stapler we have to secure it, then I took a fabric that I had been given that I knew I was unlikely to use for quilting (purple and white gingham check)I stapled it down too. Then I took it off and placed the board on top of the upright ironning board - Voile a big board place to iron. Cost about $10.00 for the wood. My DH went to an independent lumber yard not a big box one. If I had of gone I might have asked for them to round the ends off as they have all those big saws etc. Good luck! I really like mine now that it is made and have extras for a friend when she brings her board over to be done.
Janet