Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 AM
sewitall

Originally Posted by blisterful
(I posted a few weeks before when I was having trouble with timing going out 3 times in three weeks). I am still having the same issues with this machine. Yesterday, authorized Bernina repairman said the reason my Bernina is going out of time is because I have been threading machine with the pressure foot down. I find it hard to believe his statement. If this were true, our owner's manuals would have a great big warning statement telling us our machine may need servicing if we thread needle with pressure foot up. Bernina owners, please let me know if you have ever threaded your machine with the pressure foot down and what you think of his explanation.
I think I have read all of the responses to this. I may have the answer for you, which I didn't see addressed in any of the responses. I have a Bernina 440QE. Even though I thread the machine with the pressure foot in up position, I had the same thing happen as mentioned above. At first, I thought I really screwed something up. Took it in to the shop to make sure I didn't break something. Nothing found wrong. Brought it home. Worked fine. And, then it did it again (The "needle hitting bobbin case noise). Well,,,,,,,,,I figured out by accident what I was doing wrong. (At least, in my case, as I don't have this problem anymore). For some reason, I was not always lowering the pressure foot prior to lowering needle to pick up the bobbin thread (push of a button. Not by turning the wheel by hand). No excuse for me. I don't know why or how I started doing this from time to time. But,,,,,I never do it anymore. If that pressure foot is not in the down position when you lower the needle to pick up the bobbin thread,,,,,, the needle can and probably will hit the bobbin casing (not having pressure foot down must cause the "timing issue", which seems to auto correct itself when starting over and doing it correctly). Anyway, that is what worked for me and I have not had a single problem ever since. If I am found to be "off base" on this,,,let me know.