Thread: Brace Yourself
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
misseva

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Originally Posted by shadoh
i hear today on the radio that cotton and corn are doubling in price. so save your scraps and make mile-a-minute quilts. they are lovely with sashing and anything goes.
i don't know about the corn.........
Corn. Well, this is just my opinion, but a good majority of the farmers around here are growing corn for ethanol....because the demand is high. Ethanol blends are ususally several cents cheaper than the regular gas. Almost every little town around here now has an ethanol plant. I think it is a "catch 22". It is good for the local economy, and has given the farmers a better living wage than they have seen in a long time...but that means that there is a lot less corn being grown as food crops...so every food that has corn listed as an ingredient is becoming more expensive because that ingredient is now more pricey. Our town has seen tax revenues go up because the farmers are buying the things that they couldnt buy when the prices were down.....so its a good and bad thing....a catch 22.

(sorry about my little rant) BUT...you can still find awesome fabric at decent prices at places like Thousands of Bolts! Hope they can hold their prices for a while.
We only have one station in town that doesn't have ethanol added to their gasoline. My car service man says you get better gas milage WITHOUT it. And the prices are the same for it and without it.

I know the thing that is driving up our prices where I work is freight. It's out of sight!!!

AND I paid $1.49 for one bell pepper yesterday. And did you ever think you would see a can of pinto beans for $1? I buy dry beans & take the extra time to cook.