View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 AM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by debp33
I'm a self taught quilter. No mom or grandma showing me, no classes. I don't even know anyone personally who quilts/sews!

I've watched quilting shows on PBS and have read books, (and use the tutorials on this board :thumbup: ), but that's about it. I've made several quilts, but usually make mistakes and have to redo some part of the process.

So my question is - are there any basic tips/tricks/secrets that all quilters should know? I know it'll get easier with experience, but I'm afraid I might be making it harder than it should be.
Same here - except I never watched any shows on TV. I just jumped in cause I knew how to sew so figured - can't be much different. It didn't take long to figure out that there were differences, but more important I knew that there were short-cuts/better methods that I didn't know about and there were probably some bad habits that I developed without knowing it.

I bought "Quilting For Dummies" after I had been quilting for about 2 years. Honestly. And I did indeed pick up quite a few tips, short cuts, and just plain stuff I didn't know about.

Learing a LOT of stuff here as well. Such as the benefits of starch.