View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
pamkasperi
Banned

Originally Posted by deema
Originally Posted by jillaine
Originally Posted by deema
Maybe if you'd mentioned it to him before heading to the store, he wouldn't feel like you'd broken the promise?
I think Deema nailed it. Most of our partner-woes can be boiled down to lack of or mis- communication.

And really, it doesn't matter what WE think about whether or not you broke your promise. (We're not married to you.) The key is: your spouse felt you did.

I would simply apologize, and then come to a revised agreement about what you should do if/when this situation occurs in the future.

Best to you,
Jillaine
That was my line of thinking - mis-communication. I'm glad someone saw that...I was worried some might see it as "asking permission"...which is something I never do in my marriage...but I do tell him what purchases I plan to make for the simple fact that the money is all coming and going from the same place and we should both know about it. While I don't see it as a promise broken, I can understand why he might feel that way, especially if there were not any mentioned "stipulations" to the agreed to promise (such as making a purchase to finish a project). I agree that it might be a good time to create such a stipulation, should this situation arise in the future.
Let me state for the record - this is/one of those fun "spats" we are having our 20 year anniversary on the 15th - if this is all we are arguing over we are doing great.

I bought quilt binding today - he just laughed and said "what for the WIP's and not a "new" quilt?" I said yep....then he called me a promise breaker!