Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by ArtquilterNEWWAYtoQUILT
:( :?: :?: :?: How do you go about piecing, I just do anyway I want and it's THE THING I WANT SO IT"S MINE!!!!
I'll take a shot at this one too...

My other avocation is photography. Black and White. I went to school back in the 80's learning all I could about B&W photography.

How is this relevant?

Met some great artists in photo school. People who put my vision to shame.

Their work sucked. Why? Because they didn't learn the basics. They didn't understand the physics of how photographic materials work, how to use them to their greatest advantage. Now I am not the greatest photographer in the world. But my prints are... tight, well made, well composed. I am proud of the work I do.

Now in quilting... there is physics going on also. These women from the last 200 years... they knew something. They understood their material. They came up with 'rules'.

Now these rules can be violated. I know I sure have inadvertently violated lots of rules. Nobody is going to call me on them. BUT... deliberately violate the rules only after you understand why they were there in the first place.

I had a great screen printing teacher who taught me... take your artwork to the edge of the known world. Then take it over the edge. Then bring it back. Extend the limits of your art in a way that you, the artist, control and understand. You have to know the rules first.

tim in san jose