View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Annya

Originally Posted by burnsk
I haven't done this in the past because I honestly didn't think about it. But as I've done more quilts I think it's important. If you have a quilt that has been passed down in the family, if there isn't someone around to tell you about it you have to guess who made it. I have a couple of quilts from my grandmother (who passed in 1956) and I wish I knew more about them. I know one of them was made from my grandfather's suits but only because someone knew about it. It was a crazy quilt and very heavy. A lot of wool in it and cotton batting.

I would say not only label it but if there is something special about it, add that too. If it was a specific pattern or blocks, you might want to add that to. JMHO
If you know the history of your old quilts, make up labels and put on the back. That way your family down the way will know who made them. I always put on labels ,who made them -who for and what was the reason and what they were made out of like your grandfathers suits. If I had an old quilt I would like to know what ever there was about it even if I need to put on the labels myself. You will be glad you did.