Thread: Brother PC 420?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Dexx

I have to agree with Jill here. I have the 420 and I love this machine. I tried the SQ9000 that Parrothead has, but I ran into issues with it right away. (However, its worth noting that I got the last 9000 and it was an open box.)

We shopped for a long time and visited a few stores. We saw demos of the Innov line and compared prices. Obviously there are some differences in things like the motors. But I'm not busting out a quilt each week, so one of the things we looked for was features. Almost every machine had a needle threader, some had push button stop/start, and most had drop in bobbins. But the one thing this had, automatic thread cutter. Love that stupid thread cutter.

On the downside, there's very little I don't like. Every problem I've had as a newbie was solved by stopping, cleaning, re-threading and taking my time. So it's sturdy. I bought a 1/4" piecing foot that seems to have work great, but frays my edges.

If I had to pick one big pet peeve, is that there isn't a default stitch memory (or I haven't found it). The machine always turns on with the needle on the left, stitch #1. My piecing foot wants the needle center, stitch #2. Many needles have paid the price. The SQ9000, on the other hand, has this feature. The SQ9000 also has the extension table, if that matters.