View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
shequilts

I forwarded this to everyone I love, and got it back from my son with this information.

Mom,

These steps are typical of the "Cincinnati Stroke" assessment. Assessment of bilateral motor strength (equal grip), assessment of coordination and strength (raise arms and hold for 5 secs), smile, pupils equal, tongue drifts to opposite side of stroke, and my personal favorite....ask the patient to repeat the simple phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"...that assessment should reveal any slurred speech indicative of a stroke on the cerebellum which may not present in other assessments. Have the patient perform simple arithmatic (i.e. 7 x 3) ...this assessment may reveal a possible stroke in the the parietal lobe of the brain. Lastly, assess for the presense of nausea or vomiting and of course, a headache. Thrombolytic therapy must be initiated within 1-3 hours from symptom onset. Contraindications of thrombolytic therapy include: surgery within 2 weeks, Pericarditis, hemorragic cva within 24 months and uncontrolled hypertension.