Thread: Brother PC 420?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Parrothead

Originally Posted by Dexx
I have to agree with Jill here. I have the 420 and I love this machine. I tried the SQ9000 that Parrothead has, but I ran into issues with it right away. (However, its worth noting that I got the last 9000 and it was an open box.)

We shopped for a long time and visited a few stores. We saw demos of the Innov line and compared prices. Obviously there are some differences in things like the motors. But I'm not busting out a quilt each week, so one of the things we looked for was features. Almost every machine had a needle threader, some had push button stop/start, and most had drop in bobbins. But the one thing this had, automatic thread cutter. Love that stupid thread cutter.

On the downside, there's very little I don't like. Every problem I've had as a newbie was solved by stopping, cleaning, re-threading and taking my time. So it's sturdy. I bought a 1/4" piecing foot that seems to have work great, but frays my edges.

If I had to pick one big pet peeve, is that there isn't a default stitch memory (or I haven't found it). The machine always turns on with the needle on the left, stitch #1. My piecing foot wants the needle center, stitch #2. Many needles have paid the price. The SQ9000, on the other hand, has this feature. The SQ9000 also has the extension table, if that matters.
On the 9000 you can change where the needle is when you turn it on so it is in the middle and it goes to the 2nd stitch which on mine is 01. I, also, broke a needle before I changed it. The directions are in the manual on how to do it. It is on page 11 in my manual.