View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
greenini

Was at the Atl Quilt show today, took a beginning FMQ from Dbbie Kratovil, really enjoyed it. In the course of wandering around I stopped off at the Horn (Sew and Vac out of Knoxville, Tn) booth. I currently do most of my sewing in the window of our dining room on a cheap quilting desk where my machine sits on top of the desk. The available space is 102" long. My current desk is 50" x 19", and fits with a dining chair on 1 side and a big space on the other.

Having a machine lift and a flat surface is *very* appealing to me as I really want to get into FMQ in a big way. I was gonna pull the chair I am using for a junk pile out of the there and was going to put in plastic drawers and put my small table top ironing board on top, I figured if I had the drawers, I could put the junk piles in them and free the ironing board.

So a 60" wide x 19 1/2 deep (55" open) x 29 3/4 " H model 3180 (quilter's dream) will cost me $1845 and give me a nice big flip up on the back and a pull out space on the drawer and when we want to use the DR table I can flip the back down out of the way. The small drawers would be an addt'l $264, but look kind of small, but would match. Since it's on public view...but I'm not that kind of person, usually. The other one I'm considering is a medium Quilter's dream, model 3140. it's 47 1/2 " wide x 19 1/2 " deep x 29 3/4 " high. for $1099. I kind of think if I'm going to be able to continue to sew (health issues) as much as I've been able to lately, I should go for the bigger one. We could afford either one, so it's not strictly a money issue, tho I blanch at putting out that much money. (cheep, cheep, cheep).

He also said he'd throw in 2 plexiglass inserts one for the Nina, and one for the FW. A good chair will be an additional $160 for the 6 way chair with the rest of the purchase, or $200 for the taller drafting chair which would allow me to sit and iron on my tall cutting table (which I need to do).

Any one have any experience with Horn or Sew N Vac? What do you guys think about the size vs price difference? Is the bigger one worth 2 x the price of the little one? Which chair would be best? I might go for 2 he had a close out on the smaller chair, then I could get rid of the one that sinks to the bottom when I sit on it...I have killed the lift...and I'd have my tall chair I've been looking for. Help, please!