View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
sunflower

Hi Becky,
I took the beginner quilting class from Quilt University.com in the autumn of 2005 because I didn't want to go to the local community college and have to work 3 straight hours for a class and use a sewing machine I was not familiar with. I really learned a lot. It was extremely thorough in the explanations, complete with illustrations, all of which could be printed out. If there was something I did not understand, the question was answered very quickly. The other students could make comments as well. Emphasis was put on accuracy in cutting and squaring off each segment of the patterns before sewing them together. We learned basics like half squared triangles, the friendship star, flying geese and lattice pattern. and borders. I made a single bed-sized quilt for my project. During the following winter I bought a Better Homes and Gardens 501 quilt blocks book off ebay and was able to make several pot holders in different block designs for Christmas gifts this year. The only thing I had problems with was choosing fabric. I don't think enough explanation was given but I have since learned how to do this. Currently I am signed up for a three week class on Attic Windows on Quilt University. It is a special type of wall hanging that looks like scenery through a window. If you have sewing experience and would like to get into quilting I would recommend the beginner class. You can do it in your own time on your own machine in your own home. Good Luck