Thread: FMQ - despair!
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 01:20 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I have a Janome 4800 QE, which I've owned for about 6 years, a wonderful machine for piecing, but when I try FMQ I get the top thread coming through on the bottom of the quilt. I have sat with a practice piece and gone from 1-9 on the tension control, moving it up half a number at a time, and there's no setting at which this doesn't happen. It improves a bit around no.7. but is still not good. The shop say there's nothing wrong with the machine and it must be me. I have tried all sorts of threads and needles. The only near-success was with embroidery thread - but I don't want to be limited to just one type. I would be grateful for any help or advice on thread, needles, technique, before this machine goes through the window. OK, it's not top of the range, but it wasn't cheap either, and I do think that to expect a "quilter's edition" machine to quilt isn't unreasonable!
Top thread on the bottom is usually too loose a tension but that can't be the case here as you state you tried all tensions - you say you tried several threads and needles - I have a Janome 6600 and get the best results with Superior Threads - Bottom Line in the bobbin and Masterpiece in the top. Are you trying good quality, branded threads? I also use an 80/12 Schmetz needle. I have the Janome blue dot bobbin case for FMQ, but I wouldn't get the problems you describe with the regular case and the supplied FMQ foot so I don't think that alone is the issue. Do you know about the Janome Yahoo Group? There's lots of tips and advice on there and sign up is free... :-D