View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 05:15 AM
jillaine

This is an update to a call for help I made a week or more ago. I've been working on a lonestar quilt for a couple of years-- I put it away a couple of years ago because I ran into a problem. I didn't realize it at the time, but have subsequently learned that I did not cut my diagonal strips wide enough. As a result the "side arms" of my pieced diamond shapes did not line up. I tried a variety of fixes, including blocking and starching, but the difference between desired shape and reality was too much-- I've learned that if your block is over 1/2 or 3/4" off, it's pretty impossible to block to the right size.

But Peg proposed a solution that did work; it offers a different look, but is at least better than throwing the whole thing in the fire, which was darn tempting!

I post here the before and after photos. There's one more mistake (two actually) that I have to fix; can you identify it? (Sigh...)

I still have more to do to finish the top, but wanted to show you what I've done so far.

Thanks again, Peg.

Status of the quilt 2 years ago when I first realized it had gone wrong
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138659[/ATTACH]

After taking the pieced stars apart, I created this image to show where the problems were
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138660[/ATTACH]

This is the proposed solution by Peg
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138661[/ATTACH]

And this is the execution of Peg's advice
[ATTACH=CONFIG]139386[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138654.jpe   attachment-138655.jpe   attachment-138656.jpe   attachment-139381.jpe