View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 AM
k3n
Power Poster

What inspiring stories! I'm from Yorkshire stock where they have an expression that sometimes you have to 'cut currants in half'!

Here in rural France, the locals are much more in touch with the countryside and nature and nothing is wasted. They all grow their own veggies, keep chickens for eggs and meat etc and we do a bit ourselves as well. I'm lucky now that my OH got a good job last year, although this means he is away from home a few nights a week; up until then, it was a struggle (he was an estate agent here and the market crashed - like everywhere! No sales=no commission!); there were times when we were glad of the home reared eggs and veggies!

But all this really makes you appreciate things more. I feel really sorry for kids who get everything on a plate - computer games, fashion clothes etc - they never seem happy with anything; now when I see the first spring veggies starting to sprout in my veg patch - that makes me happy!

This was part of my reason for staying in France rather than the UK - I want my kids to grow up not doing without, but knowing what's important.

K x