Thread: marking quilts
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 09:42 AM
milp04

Originally Posted by saf
I was going to use a pencil because this is what the teacher at the quilting class I went to yesterday recommended. Apparently the hera has no lead or colour and creases the fabric.
Hi Saf,

Did the teacher include a pencil as a supply item for the class? Is this a beginner class teaching you how to piece blocks together or is this about the quilting of the quilt top?

If you are just starting and working on a small project then you could use a pencil marking very lightly. This would be for marking of the quilt top for quilting.

I'm somewhat surprised that a quilting teacher would suggest using a pencil. This might be ok to learn the process for a small project, but not ok for truly teaching of the student. I would question if this is the practice that she herself uses. I would question whether or not she did any lecture on any of the other forms of marking of your quilt top for quilting.

For a large heirloom type project I would not ever think of using a pencil. There are some antique quilts that you can still see the pencil markings that never came out.

As another stated, marking materials depend on the size and application of the project. I would start with what you think you might suit your present needs. Your needs, likes and dislikes may change over time. Also there are new products coming out all the time to meet the different needs of quilters.

I would make a placemat size sandwich of a good quality muslin, with batting and backing. Use this as a tester. Write at the top with permanent pen the brand and marker used, then draw a line down the mat. Collect different samples of marking pens to test. If you're in a guild group, this could be done as a group. Each member could make her own tester placemat. Then collectively add the name and marking of each pen. Each member can then go back home having their own sample.

It can be tested with different forms of soaps, washings, dryings, ironings, etc. to see if the markings are truly removable or just what each pen's markings remain.

Good luck with your quilting.

Pam M