Old 03-12-2011, 03:20 PM
sharoney

Originally Posted by Maia B
It must be "try and cry" FMQ day. I've been making quilts for 20+ years, hand quilting and machine quilting straight lines only. So I have great machines with which to FMQ, I've read some recommended books, and I tried it early this morning. Hundreds of thousands of people do this, right? So no tension problems, no eyelashes, but it was just awful. I think everything is set just fine, because the stitch line is great except that it's jerky, ugly, and inconsistent. I could feel the thread's shame and disappointment at being involved. I can't trace a line, make any attractive shape, nothing nice at all. I sewed out a bobbin's worth on a 12"x 18" piece, which I then took directly to the rabbit cage to die the worst death any quilt can as a peed-upon chew rug. I went back to bed. Later, when I opened my thread drawer, the quilting weight threads were all cowering in fear. Even the piecing thread looked nervous. The worst of the whole story is that I was using the Bernina 440 with BSR, which is supposed to help, right? So I know it takes practice, but I'm pretty discouraged. It's also not AT ALL fun. Which is crazy, too...fabric :) + batting :) + thread :) + Bernina :))) = sad and sore like I did too much yard work.
I started a thread about "I wish my earlier quilting was better" - the same thing you're talking about. My piecing was great, but my early MQ, not so much. It does take time, and it does take practice, and you do have to figure out which directions work best for you. But it's SO worth it if you hang in there. FMQ is my fave thing in the world to do- I can't wait to get a quilt pieced so I can quilt it. And I've gotten better and better and better.