Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
aussiequilter

Originally Posted by Maia B
It must be "try and cry" FMQ day. I've been making quilts for 20+ years, hand quilting and machine quilting straight lines only. So I have great machines with which to FMQ, I've read some recommended books, and I tried it early this morning. Hundreds of thousands of people do this, right? So no tension problems, no eyelashes, but it was just awful. I think everything is set just fine, because the stitch line is great except that it's jerky, ugly, and inconsistent. I could feel the thread's shame and disappointment at being involved. I can't trace a line, make any attractive shape, nothing nice at all. I sewed out a bobbin's worth on a 12"x 18" piece, which I then took directly to the rabbit cage to die the worst death any quilt can as a peed-upon chew rug. I went back to bed. Later, when I opened my thread drawer, the quilting weight threads were all cowering in fear. Even the piecing thread looked nervous. The worst of the whole story is that I was using the Bernina 440 with BSR, which is supposed to help, right? So I know it takes practice, but I'm pretty discouraged. It's also not AT ALL fun. Which is crazy, too...fabric :) + batting :) + thread :) + Bernina :))) = sad and sore like I did too much yard work.
Mala B, you are not alone (perhaps except for the rabbit). I am using a Husqvana Designer and my experience is exactly the same as yours. I too am feeling pretty discouraged. Quilting on two waiting projects has been unpicked - again - and they are all folded up following their last unsuccessful and painful outing, though I do see them every day which reminds me they're still not finished. The worst thing is one of them is a baby quilt and the little girl is now a year old.
Tell me when you find the secret, because there just has to be one.