View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 PM
candi

I would highly recommend it if it is in your budget. The quilt studio I used required a class too, but it was very infomative and hands on, a lot of fun, she gave us zipper sets and instructions on how to prep the quilt, how to load and then tips for free hand quilting. I enjoyed the class a learned a lot ( did you know there is a right side and worng side for batting!!! Now I know). This particular quilt studio rents by the hour but if you rent for the full day you get a free lunch hour to take a break and what not, trust me, if you do all over free hand work, it hardly takes any time, and with the quilt on a zipper when you get to the place, it takes less than ten minutes to put it on and then off you go. I got to the studio at 0900 am, by the time I chatted, used the restroom, loaded my big queen bargello and quilted it, I looked at the clock and it was 1130!!! yes, I thought I died and time stopped, this is a 102'' square bargello quilted in 2.5 hours if that...I did use simple design, but it turned out neat if I may say so myself. Can you tell I am really excited with my find, lol?

Originally Posted by quiltykitty
Originally Posted by candi
Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I would love to rent a long arm for the day. My nearest long arm dealer is in Winter Haven; about a 45 minute drive. I need to call her and see if she rents longarms.
Let me tell you, I drive more than an hour to get to the quilt studio to rent the longarm, it is well worth it for me. Friday was the first time I actually did this, but now I feel that unless it is a placemat size, I want to longarm it instead of doing it at home...it is so much more fun and I can do a better job, like i told my husnand, freehand longarming feels like driving a convertible,lol, you are so free!! It is awesome! Can you tell I enjoyed myself :mrgreen: :lol:
Thursday, I found out that the LQS that is 30 miles from me will rent their longarm. A class is required. I'm really thinking about it for the OBW I just pieced. I have one more UFO that is near the quilting stage and another that is not quite as far along.