View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 AM
SuzanneG
Banned

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
This topic has come up a few times, friends who want/assume they can use patterns that they know you have and the controversy with regard to the designer's rights to the pattern, not to mention the markup the retailer would have received, and the printer (etc).

So I have to ask. What is the difference between someone "sharing" a pattern and someone selling a used pattern here on QB? The only difference is that the original purchaser gets a few $$ but not anyone else in the loop.

Just curious - not judgemental. I've bought used books here and I guess now I'm questioning it.
Excellent point. If we profit from it, it seems okay and even 'fair' to share. I never looked at it in this light before. Thanks for that perspective. :D

As for the original question as to what to say to your friend about sharing the pattern, I think if it bothers you to share it, then don't. Simply tell her it goes against your sense of right and wrong. If she's a true friend, she will accept and respect your sensibility on this.