View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 08:44 AM
milp04

Originally Posted by btiny36
What would be the ideal size of ironing board you would make and size of cutting table also.
Hi Brenda,

I would do a search for ironing boards and cutting tables to see all the past posting threads and their complete discussions.

It is a truly personal choice, depending on your heighth and the amount of room you have to work.

Many have either purchased or made what is called the "Big Board, ironing board". It fits over your existing ironing board. I have seen one of the Big Boards that folded in half and had a handle to carry for class use. Other have made their own big and small to fit their situations.

With regards to the cutting table, much the same. Many end of having their cutting table that is too low. Try cutting at your kitchen counter and see how your back and body feel after cutting. It does help to have a smaller cutting mat used on top of a larger mat. You can turn the smaller mat to make cutting easier. Cutting is easier with sharp not dull blades.

Many sewing rooms show that people are using the folding plastic tables. They can be raised very easily to your liking.
I have seen ironing boards make to fit the top of the folding table. If you make sure to add the small wood blocks on the bottom the board remains secure without slipping around.
There are several threads and tutorials for guidance.

Pam M