View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 AM
jlm5419

Originally Posted by quiltqueen61
I have one just like it, it was my grandmothers, I was told at one time it was a treadle made over into a portable, wouldn't want to lug it very far, it's quite heavy, still works, only thing I think may have been replaced is the cord. Wanted to sell it but no one here wants it. If you look at the plate on your machine there is a number and some letters I think, if you call Singer they will give you the exact date and where it was made. Hubby made a great find.
I did look up the serial number - the number was released in December of 1919, one of 50,000. However, I can't assume it was actually made in December of 1919, more likely it was sometime in 1920. The motor and belt look new, so it may be a very recent conversion.

It's more difficult to sell a machine online, probably because of the weight of these machines. They are HEAVY, and often damaged in shipping if not packed properly. If I had known that you had one to sell, I would have definitely been interested, but now I have one. I consider it a keeper.