View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 AM
deema

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
For skipped stitches, check to make sure that you're not using a "universal" needle. Universals were intended to bridge the gap between sewing on wovens vs. sewing on knits, so that the home sewer didn't have to try to keep two different types of points on hand. But, they don't sew wovens as well as sharps and they don't sew knits as well as ball points.

For skipped stitches using a "normal" (sharp) needle, (as long as the thread isn't shredding, too) I would first suspect that the needle or the eye is too large. Try an 80/12 or a 70/10.

If the thread is shredding as well as skipping, go to a large eye in the same size or go up a size or two until you find the one that holds the thread correctly in the groove along the needle.

With the right combination of needle and tensions, a FW will sew with any kind of thread - they were made to use even size 100 silks up to very heavy threads. :)
I'm using a sharp needle, 90/14. The thread isn't shredding at all.

I honestly don't think it's a needle issue either, because this only happens in one spot, same spot every time (just after the seam), but everywhere else, there isn't a single missed stitch or issue of any kind...