Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 AM
milp04

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
This is my first try at English Paper Piecing. :) I think I'm hooked.

I'd like to make a Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt.. this silly flower took me over 2 hours to do. I can only imagine the time that's going to be required for a queen size quilt. Maybe it'll be done when my 2 year old goes to college...
Hi Jennifer,

Your GFG flower looks great!

You will find this is a long term project. It makes for a great take along project to have hand work to fill up any time you need to be sitting and waiting.

Work up a project bag with the necessary supplies so that it's always ready to grab and to have with you as you head out the door. You can work to have a stack of material pre-cut, along with the hexagon pattern pieces.

Then you can work them in stages. One stage is sewing the fabric around the hexagons. Another stage is sewing them together. As you complete each flower, have another set project box at home to keep them as they're completed. The next stage is laying out the flowers as you wish them to appear. Number them or pin them together so you know which to sew together.

Then as you progress lay out each section, marking how they go together. As the project gets bigger you will probably prefer to sew the large sections together at home. Before you know it you'll have a bed quilt all sewn!

Also I just wanted to share a luxury item for GFG projects. It's called Quilt Patti's. They are plastic pattern pieces, that can be flipped out after a flower is sewn together to use for the next flower section.

Following is a link for information:

http://quiltpati.tripod.com/id12.html

A tip for using the paper pieces is to punch a hole in the middle of each hexagon. This makes it easier to remove the paper.
Also don't sew through the paper as you wrap the fabric around each hexagon pattern piece.

Pam M