View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM
quilting cat

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
This topic has come up a few times, friends who want/assume they can use patterns that they know you have and the controversy with regard to the designer's rights to the pattern, not to mention the markup the retailer would have received, and the printer (etc).

So I have to ask. What is the difference between someone "sharing" a pattern and someone selling a used pattern here on QB? The only difference is that the original purchaser gets a few $$ but not anyone else in the loop.

Just curious - not judgemental. I've bought used books here and I guess now I'm questioning it.
Used books get sold all the time, especially by "friends of the library" groups. I'm sure authors and publishers expect this.
At what point does a pattern become "used"? Some of the patterns I have obtained second-hand have never been used. Does this make me a copyright violator? I agree that this denies profit to the designer and publisher, but patterns are not generally returnable even when still stocked. Doesn't the original purchaser have the right to recoup part of her investment?