Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM
kwendt

Originally Posted by buslady
I have a 301, but not sure if it is the long or short bed. Anyone have the measurments on one so I can tell?
That's a question I asked not 2 months ago! lol...

First of all, both the short-bed and the long-bed 301s are exactly the same except for the part Singer called the Sewing Bed Extension (the flippy foldy piece). From what I have been told, that means that either model will actually fit nicely in the 301 special mounting plate/carriage 'cause the base of the machine is the same.

BUT... the short and long bed extensions will not obviously fit the same surface on the table or cabinet. (unless someone has after-market created a lexan or wood,etc. cutout... )

The Bed Extension for a short-bed machine measures two-and-three-quarter inches across, and a long-bed (called a long deck by old-time Singer collectors like Bill over at vintagesingers yahoo group) is exactly twice that at five-and-one-half inches.

The overall lengths of the machines are sixteen-and-one-quarter inches and nineteen-and-one-eighth inches.

If you're planning on using an existing table or cabinet, measure the opening and you will be able to figure out which machine will fit.

Billy or others will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong.... ! Hope this helps! LOVE my 301 short bed...