Thread: Hello everyone!
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 AM
mpspeedy

Welcome. A few questions. Do you have a sewing machine? Have you done any kind of sewing? Before you can quilt you need to know at least the basics of sewing either by hand or machine. If you have done sewing and have some material on hand you might experiment with it before you go out and invest in a lot of stuff made for quilting. My first quilt made more than 40 years ago was from scraps of the sewing projects I had been making since I was 12 years old. It was made from 4 inch squares of at the time all different kinds of fabrics. While it was laughable by my present standards it was a quilt and was used as such for a good 10 years.
For quilting we usually use cotton fabrics but many masterpieces are made from other fibers. You need to decide what kind of quilts you want to make. They range from "blankets" to wall art. Visit a quilt show if there is one in driving range of your area. You will be surprised at what are considered "quilts". Before you invest in a lot of "tools" especially made for quilting make sure it is something you really want to do. I have been quilting for more than 40 years and I have lots of gadgets that sounded and looked wonderful that have never been used. It is possible to make lovely and or useful "quilts" with just a needle, thread, scissors, thimble and fabric.
A basic sewing or quilting class would be a big help.