View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I think my method of starching yardage is easier.

I mix a 50/50 solution of Sta-Flo liquid starch and water in a bowl, lay my fabric out on the kitchen island, and then "paint" the starch on with a large paint brush (the cheap type you can purchase to paint walls). The fabric gets pretty wet with this method. I put it in the dryer. When I have time, I iron it with steam.

The above is a very heavy starch solution that makes the fabric quite stiff. I use it for machine applique backgrounds, so I don't have to use a stabilizer under the background. I think it would be awfully stiff for piecing. If I were starching fabric for piecing, I would probably use a 1:3 or 1:4 solution of Sta-Flor and water. I'm usually satisfied with the sizing that is already in the fabric as it comes off the bolt. I don't pre-wash my fabrics because I like that bit of stiffness in the fabric when I am cutting and piecing.

I think spray starching at the ironing board is fine for small pieces, but I would find it very tiring for doing a lot of fabric at one time. Commercial spray starch tends to sit on top of the fabric; it takes awhile to sink in. If you try to iron right away, before the starch has a chance to sink in, the starch turns into flakes. Plus, if your iron is really hot and you start ironing too soon, you can scorch the starch and have both awful-looking fabric and gunk to clean off the bottom of the iron.

Not sure if there is an advantage to refrigerating or freezing fabric instead of drying it in the dryer. If I were ambitious, I'd compare the two methods to find out!