View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 AM
milp04

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
the dreaded extra stitch. i know it well. :lol:

the good news is that nobody will ever notice or worry about it but you.

the better news is that if it's only one stitch too many, and you notice it before you start stitching the next section of your line, it's fairly easy to fix.

slow down as you approach the pivot point. if necessary, do one stitch at a time for the last quarter inch or so. if your machine doesn't have a reliable needle up/down button, do it manually by turning the wheel in the proper direction.

make sure to stop stitching with the needle down.

life the presser foot, pivot the fabric, put the foot back down.

if you realize you are one stitch too far, manually back the needle up out of the sandwich to undo the extra stitch. carefully reposition the quilt. manually lower the needle so that it goes down in the correct spot. manually turn the wheel to bring the needle all the way down and then back up to complete that stitch.

proceed.
Excellent explanation :thumbup: :thumbup: I know what I want to say but takes me forever to put it in words...

Everything has been explained so well, but these two steps are quite important to follow all the time:

Make sure to stop stitching with the needle DOWN, then

Lift the presser foot, pivot the fabric, put the foot back down.

Personally I also like to move the machine wheel by hand when approaching the corner and the pivot point, and then when proceeding to sew. I like to know where each stitch is going until I get past the critical corner area.

Pam M