View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 PM
moonwork42029

I met my husband via an online dating service in 2002. We married a year later in 2003. I think it's a super way to meet someone...but you may meet a lot of frogs in the process.

Since you fill out a profile (and there's no sense in lying about anything), you are ahead of the game by already knowing you have things in common. Be upfront with your thoughts and desires for your future.

As they suggested...
Exchange emails / phone calls - stick to 1st names for a while. If he doesn't like that, too bad.
Don't hide what you are doing from your family and friends. It's very important that others know about your quest ... just in case
Do exchange face pictures -- then modest full body pictures (if your grandmother can't see it then don't send it!)
Meet in a public place say at lunch time or something...that way you have to be somewhere else at a set time and gives you a good reason to have a time limit for the first meeting.
Do have a friend call you in about 1 hr after your next meeting time. Have a "code" word that means all is good or call back and get me out of this date.
Do have money and your ID on you at all times. If things get freaky, you need to be able to get home on your own. I always kept a $20, my VISA & license in my bra (I'm endowed, lol)
Don't be afraid to see several people at the same time...it is called "dating" like in the old days were you could see many people and it not be a big deal. However, be up front and tell them you do plan on seeing others for awhile.
Don't fall for the first guy you meet!!!!! It's a huge pond and you need to wade around a bit.
If your cats/dogs/kids don't like him, then take the hint. Life is too short to have to play referee with them.

Be safe, be careful, be selective, be smart, be yourself, be someone you'd like to be around, be honest, be modest.

Don't be fooled, don't be clingy, don't be whiny, don't tell about your past boyfriends/relationships, don't worry so much.

Good luck!