View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 01:06 PM
purvissp

I am making a quilt and wanted to dress up the 3 inch sash that I am using with some simple embroidered designs, but my smallest hoop is a 4x4.

I went over to the sewing store speak to the “expert”. I told her how I was planning to do it and she promptly told me that would never work and proceeded to instruct me on a very intricate process. By the time she was done my eyes were crossed and I was almost ready to forget the whole thing. Another lady that happened to be standing there while we were speaking also had an idea for the process that she thought was a little easier. It wasn’t and now I am really confused.

However, I am a little bull headed and walked away and thought I would try my original plan to see if it would work, what’s to loose?

1. I purchased some Pellon 950F Fusible Backing.
2. Came home cut my 3 inch sash strips and marked the locations for the embroidery designs
3. Cut small pieces of the backing and ironed them onto the back of the sash strips in the location for the design.
4. Placed the 3 inch sash strips in the center of the 4x4 hoops, with the marks for the designs in the approximate center of the hoop. I did not stretch them very tight in the hoop, just firm and flat.
5. Placed the hoop in the embroidery machine and used the adjustment arrows of the machine to line up the start point right over the center of the mark.
6. The machine started and did a great job.
7. Repeated 4 and 5 until all my designs were on the strip.

Sorry if I bored some of you more experience quilters, but I am just a beginner and this just thrilled me.

I’ll have to go back to the store and show that “expert”.

This is the fusible backing ironed on the sash,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169803[/ATTACH]

The sash mounted in the hoop.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169804[/ATTACH]

The finished product
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169805[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169798.jpe   attachment-169799.jpe   attachment-169800.jpe