Thread: MQ borders
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 02:44 AM
quiltmaker

Originally Posted by vivientan
I'm working on a single-size quilt for my DD and currently doing SID for the top. As I'm fairly new to MQ, I'm just wondering how I shd quilt the borders. Quite tempted to try out some simple FMQ but worried at the same time I would do a bad job as I've never attempted this before. If I'm using a walking foot, what sort of designs could I sew? Not sure if simple wavy lines would look awful on the quilt. How about straight lines that interlock each other?

I have an outer border of 4.25" and 2 inner borders of 1.5".

Any advice here will be much appreciated.

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSC03769.jpg[/IMG]

Vivientan, your quilt is really lovely. Since you haven't really FMQ'd much I think NativeTexans's idea would really look good and work great on your quilt. It would add a lot of dimenision to your quilt. Especially with the way your squares/points are designed. Those lines would really make the quilt flow to me. If using you walking foot and the metal bar you can attach to it would give you equal measurements between the lines and would go really easily.

Holice's idea is great also but after quilting for many, many years I have yet to master those stencils. I do so much better on my own there but fortunately many people have no problems. I just have to learn how to do those darn stencils as they seem to be the bain of my existence. Holice knows her stuff and I sure wish she would do a tut for those of us that have problems following those stencil lines that would look good and flow smoothly because I just seem to have a major brain blip on that procedure and would love to learn how to do them. :cry: