Old 02-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Roben

Skeat, we've been looking at long arm set-ups for a little over 6 months now - and it'll make you go cross-eyed, that's for sure. The one thing I found the most helpful, without a doubt, is that we went to the AQS show in Des Moines last year. Most of the long arm companies were there - with machines all set up to play on :lol: We got to go straight from a Gammill to an HQ to an A1 to a Tin Lizzie. That was fantastic, because I could remember what I liked/didn't like between the machines, which is next to impossible for me if it is months between trying one and then another. They all feel different, have different frames, etc. All the dealers there had show specials, too. After quilting a queen size on the little 400 last year, I'm collecting big tops until I get my long arm or am having them done for me.

Right now I have my D1 on a computer table, with the companion table in the garage having a shelf put under it and DH cut out an acrylic piece for me so she'll sit flush. (Bonus: he's putting a light under there for me too, which will be invaluable for paper piecing!) That will continue to be my general sewing and piecing setup. Hubby uses the 400 with the acrylic quilting table for the piecing he's doing, on the kitchen table until he gets my table done :D