View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by b.zang
The lady who taught me to quilt told me to buy a green mat - no other. I don't know the difference in quality of others, because I followed her instructions and bought a green mat (Olfa) and have never bought another one. It's holding up perfectly and I've had it about 7 years. The only time it shows any cut line is when I have cut something linty and have jammed fabric lint into the cut but a brushing with one of those body scrub thingys (thanks to a tip on here) and it's good as new. I don't use anything except a rotary cutter on my mat.

Also - these mats regularly go on half-price at the discount fabric shops around here, so it wasn't even expensive.
The other colored mats, especially the white ones, cause the rotary blades to dull a lot faster than the green ones. I'm not sure why but I know all the quilt stores I have been in have said the same thing.

I don't buy Fiskar mats because they seem to wear out faster than the Olfa mats. Also, when the front becomes worn, I simply turn it over and get twice the lifetime out of it. I don't use the lines on the cutting mat to measure my pieces, mostly because those lines are not accurate. If you do use the lines, be sure to place your ruler over it and make sure the lines are evenly printed. If someone is having problems with their piecing not lining up or blocks ending up the wrong size, often times it is because someone used the lines from the cutting mat to measure their units instead of using the ruler. I know this was a major problem for me and boy was I relieved when I took a class and had the instructor set me straight. I measured my mat and darned if the center wasn't almost a quarter of an inch off! :shock: No wonder my blocks wouldn't come out the right size. I have since used my ruler and been so much happier!! Hope this hint helps someone.
Piece ~ Tiffany