Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Shelbie

There is no reason that you cannot machine quilt on your regular machine. I have done so for years, first on my Bernina 830 Record (the old one) and now my Janome 6500. I have always used a walking foot and either did SITD or echo quilting around motifs. Just lately I have tried FM quilting and using a stencil to transfer quilting patterns to my borders. I have done everything from placemats to King sized quilts. The larger harp on my Janome 6500 does make it much easier to push a King Sized quilt through the space. The secret to all of this is to pin or baste your sandwich well and take breaks. Sewing until your arms and shoulders are aching makes your reluctant to start the next time. Machine quilting takes practice and the type of batting selected does matter. A fluffy polyester batting will not produce an absolutely flat quilt no matter how you quilt it. Start with a small quilt and work up to the larger ones. As my daughter often reminds me "Mom, the baby won't care if your quilting is not perfect!" Start quilting and enjoy this new skill.