Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Glenn

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I was anxious to finish my 1st quilt top on my treadle, so I didn't stop to look at a manual. I finished it in a day {the one in my avatar} and thought to myself, "surely there must be some way to regulate the stitch length!" So, I went online and downloaded a manual. I found out that the knob on the pillar { I had just told my husband that day I had no idea what in the world that does...it doesn't seem to change anything! So I just tightened it back up.} is the stitch length adjuster. Loosen it and it shortens the stitch length, tighten it and it lengthens the stitch length. I had the length set as long as it would go! The end of each row will have to be tacked, but the rest will just have to stay like it is. LOL
On mine, that knob was good and stuck, and it took quite a bit of working it and Liquid Wrench applications both outside and inside the tower, to get it freed up enough to turn. I just got it really moving again, yesterday. I couldn't believe it turns around about 6 or 7 revolutions! But it does indeed change the stitch length. I think the previous owner must have left it set at a small stitch and never changed it, as it was frozen solid-- moreso than anything else on the machine.

I also got out the ruffler last night, to play with it. Haven't tried out any of the machine's gadgets before. Dang if it didn't make a pretty awesome ruffle! I'm just in awe of how everything for these old Singers was made.

Love, love LOVE my 66-1... I could have stopped collecting right there, and been happy!
The 66-1is my favorite go to machine also. I have three brown lotus made in Prussia 1908 A redeye 1916 and 1921. I don't use my 1968 electric new home much anymore. Glenn